Wednesday, July 11, 2007

We're Home And We Have Babies!

Emma Leigh and Olivia Jayne were born on July 4th. Emma was at 6:13pm and weighed 4lbs 14oz and Olivia was at 6:14pm and was 3lbs 12oz. Each was by c-section. There were complications, but not with the girls. They seemed to be doing better than I was the whole time!

After the girls were born, I had my tubes tied which went just fine. Unfortunately, my uterus would not contract so they gave me medication to do that. None of the medications worked for some reason. My OB said out of 4000 babies he has delivered, he has never had someone have this problem and the drugs not work. So, they ended up calling Shans hospital and prepping an ICU room for me because of the amount of blood I was losing. They told Shans about the situation and that they were going to tie a suture around my uterus to contract it, and Shans said that that would be what they would do as well, so sending me there wouldn't have done any good.

Fortunately, they got the bleeding under control, but I had to have three units of blood pumped back into me. I had no idea any of this was happening. I remember my husband being in there, then following the girls to the NICU and then I passed out and woke up in the recovery room with an IV in each arm. (There was only one IV in my arm when I went into the OR.) After I was coherent enough, they told me what happened. My doctor ended up spending the night at the hospital just in case there was an emergency and he needed to get to me fast. I love my doctor! I couldn't have asked for a better one!

After that, my blood pressure and heart rate skyrocketed. They had to put me on an IV of Mag for a day. My legs and feet were so swollen the whole time also. I swear they had to have been at least five times their normal size!

After that, they found that I am anemic. So, instead of being able to go home when they said I could, I had to stick around for another two days to get another IV put in (they had taken the other two out) and had to get iron pumped into me. I had that in addition to an iron pill to take.

A day later they finally said I could go home.

We have Emma here with us, but Liv is still at the NICU. She has a feeding tube because she just gets too tired to eat out of a bottle. She is eating enough though when she does get the bottle. So that's good. We went to visit her today and she was out of the incubator, in "big girl" clothes and was maintaining her temperature well. She had lost a few ounces, but is slowly gaining them back. She had gotten down to 3lbs 9oz, but is now 3lbs 11oz. They said she can go home at 4lbs. 5 ounces left!! I can't wait to get her home. I didn't do so well when I was discharged. It was the first day I had seen her with the feeding tube (she had it removed by the time I was able to see her the first time, and then she got tired a few days later.) and then I had to leave her there while taking her sister home. I just have to keep telling myself that there's nothing WRONG with her, she just needs to put on some fat.

Em is doing well here at home. She's eating well and is sleeping a lot. We have our first pediatrician appointment tomorrow.

No comments: