Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Day Olivia Sent Emma To The Emergency Room

I thought that today was going to be a typical Lazy Saturday. I was wrong.

The day started out like any other day. The kiddos came in our room around 8am and kept shouting, "It's sunny-day! Get up! Let's play a game!" Their game of choice this morning was Hide and Seek. So, Ricky and I told them to go ahead and get started. It was taking a while to get out of bed, though the both of us were already awake. The kids kept coming in and out of our room whining about a necklace that they both wanted to play with.

Next thing I know, we hear a blood-curdling scream come from Emma in the living room. Ricky and I get in there and Emma's face is pouring blood from above her right eye. I picked her up and sat on the couch so I could see what was going on. On the floor, our area rug was all messed up and next to it was a purple 5lb dumbbell. I asked Emma what happened and she said, "Olivia hit me with that! *points to dumbbell*". I yelled at Ricky to get a washcloth so that I could wipe away some of the blood running down her face. It was everywhere. Dripping on her night gown, all in her mouth. I knew the gash was there on her face, but there was so much blood in her mouth that I thought she got hit there as well.

I got her cleaned up as best I could with blood still dripping. Ricky and talked for a few minutes about whether or not we thought she needed stitches. We decided that I should take her next door to see Grandmother and see what she had to say about it. I got our jackets on and we ran next door while Ricky stayed home with Olivia.

It had stopped pouring blood when we got next door, but it was still bleeding to where we had to keep the washcloth on it frequently. The first thing out of Emma's mouth when we got there was, "Look what Olivia did!" It was in that moment, that I knew she was going to be okay. Grandpa cracked a joke saying, "Don't you know you're not supposed to use dumbbells? Tell your sister she needs to use smartbells next time." Emma didn't find that funny at all. Grandmother and Grandpa suggested that we go ahead and take her to the ER to get it checked on so it wouldn't leave a scar. It most likely would be fine without stitches, but the placement of the potential scar may make her self-conscious later.

So, I ran back home with her and told Ricky what they said. He agreed. I called my mom to meet us at the hospital, and Ricky stayed home with Liv again and called his family. Before we left the house, I had Ricky snap a few 'before the hospital' photos.


Once at the hospital, it didn't take long for her to be called back. They ended up putting Dermabond (superglue) on it instead of butterfly clamps or stitches. She put up a bit of a fight and it got in one of her eyebrows. When it was all done, she asked to see her face in a mirror so I took her photo and showed it to her on my phone.


After that, they took her to Radiology to have a few head x-rays to make sure she didn't have any skull fractures to go along with her facial laceration. Waiting on the results of the x-ray was actually the longest wait of the morning. Everything came back normal so we were discharged and went home.

The rest of the day was business as usual around here. We had to keep telling her to stop running around and playing so much. Honestly, I'm surprised that it took us 4.5 years to make it to the ER for a sister-inflicted head wound. But I'm so thankful that it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

-BritneyMarie

No comments: